Week 8 Reading and Writing

I am really enjoying the readings so far! I especially like reading the PDE versions for Ramayana and Mahabharata. I have read and watched movies and shows for these stories, so I was familiar with the stories before the class. Nonetheless, I loved reading how various authors interpreted different parts of the story. Some of the characters were portrayed in new ways that I had never even thought of before, and that made me think a lot more about the differences with which every single reader will understand and relate to these stories. 

This is actually what inspired my storybook project: "Ghatotkacha - The Good Demon"! I wanted to encourage to pay more attention to the character of Ghatotkacha, my favorite character in the Mahabharata! Despite being born a demon, Ghatotkacha defies conventional notions about demons being "evil" and instead lives a kind and humble life, displaying many virtuous qualities! I'm really liking the way my project is progressing and I am looking forward to writing more stories illustrating Ghatotkacha's exceptional moral righteousness.

I really like keeping up my blog for this class. It is such a great way for me to easily look back at my progress so far and read my past stories. One of my favorite blog posts is my first story: "Loki the Clever Fool." I loved the irony in my story - how Loki is both extremely smart but also extremely foolish - and also how I was able to incorporate my love for the Marvel universe. The story is very loosely based on the characters in the movie Thor: Ragnarok., one of my favorite movies in the franchise.

One thing that I am finding helpful when reading the stories is, after reading a chapter of the PDE, I look up the characters involved on Wikipedia and read the Wikipedia summary for the characters. It helps me get a bigger picture of the story and understand how the characters are related to the various other characters, as well as the significance they have in the progression of the story overall. I love making connections between the characters; in one of my reading notes, I discuss how King Virata (whose kingdom the Pandavas were hiding in after their 12-year exile) and the Pandavas are actually third cousins!

Things are picking up in my other classes, and I'm finding myself busier than before. I'm hoping I'll continue to keep up with my work in this class and try to finish as early as I can, while still putting in my best effort for writing and reading stories!

Comments