Storybook Plan

After a few weeks of exploring research topics, I have fallen in love with my topic idea of Ghatotkacha, and I really wanted to focus on just one character and explore his significance in an Indian epic such as the Mahabharata. As I want to focus on just one topic, I think a Storybook project (instead of a Portfolio) will work out really well!

In my previous post, I came up with a tentative plan for how I would structure my storybook project. I will be writing about the story of Ghatotkacha, exploring themes of loyalty and illusions, along with hopefully conveying an overall main idea: looks can be deceiving. Ghatotkacha is the perfect character to illustrate these themes because, being a rakshasa himself, he may be overlooked and mistaken by most people to be just another evil and lowly demon. As seen in the Mahabharata, however, Ghatotkacha is actually one of the most noble and kindest characters, while also being a very intelligent master of disguise.

I had laid out my storybook plan as follows (copied and pasted from my previous post):

1) Birth of Ghatotkacha: Ghatotkacha was born to Bhima, one of the Pandava brothers, and Hidimbi, a rakshasi. I think, in this story, I will explain the circumstances of Bhima's and Hidimbi's relationship and also showcase the moment when Ghatotkacha realizes who his father is.

2) Ghatotkacha's Mayabazar: Here, I will tell the story as it is told in the film Mayabazar. Ghatotkacha, master of illusions, impersonates Sasirekha and also designs a city called Mayabazar for the Kauravas to live in, which is where he carries out the majority of his tricks. This is kind of a long story, so I may have to break it up into two parts or leave out some parts.

3) Ghatotkacha's death: In the Kurukshetra war, Bhima calls Ghatotkacha to help fight alongside the Pandavas, to which Ghatotkacha gladly obliges. He uses many illusions and fights very well. Unfortunately, Karna, who is fighting alongside the Kauravas, sees through all of his tricks and kills Ghatotkacha. His death is described as deeply saddening for the Pandavas; Krishna smiles, however, knowing that Ghatotkacha is leaving his demon form behind and going to heaven.


Here are the resources that I am planning to use:

Link to Wikipedia article for Ghatotkacha
Link to Wikipedia article for Mayabazar (1957)
Link to Guide to Ghatotkacha: The Chivalrous Demon

For my storytelling style, I will aim to highlight the virtuous qualities of Ghatotkacha in each story and portray him in a pure and lovable light. I will make sure to brainstorm ways to incorporate dialogue and repetition to make my stories fun and engaging to read!

Comments