My Time Strategies

This semester, I hope to pay special attention to my time management. I have a busy course load this fall - five classes, a job, and research - and I will also be doing everything remotely from my home in Iowa. It is important to me that I don't fall behind, which is much easier to do when I am home and most of my classes are asynchronous.

To maintain a steady schedule, I have created an extensive Google calendar, in which I have included:

  • My class schedule (including when I plan to watch pre-recorded lectures / spend time working through asynchronous courses)
  • My assignment due dates (including exams, quizzes, essays, homework, etc.)
  • Office hours/action center times
  • My job and research activities
I tried to make it as realistic as possible, giving myself enough time to complete assignments and staying true to my personal biological clock. I especially liked the tips from Amanda Collins about Realistic Study Plans. I hope that making my schedule reasonable and easy to follow will allow me to be less stressed out as I work through this semester.


I will be honest - I like to procrastinate a lot. That's why I like the advice from Jory Mackay about The Important Habit of Just Starting. When I get so worried and start to think way too far ahead about something, I remind myself to just think about it one step at a time, and the most important step is to just start. Once I do this, I automatically feel less guilty and more in control of the task at hand.

Despite forming a tight schedule, I also remind myself to have some flexibility and relax. I tried to give myself time to take breaks and engage with my family so that I don't burn out and can still have some fun. For example, I plan to watch a Marvel movie every Saturday with my sisters. Hopefully, we will be able to finish them all soon!

Comments